Data Centre, Mission Critical
MJ Clarke Ltd
To carry out the electrical works associated with the expansion of the data hall. Works involved the following;
1. Phased removal of two existing 160 kVA Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) units, associated batteries, associated bypass cabinets, UPS output distribution, EPO system five CRCUs, five outdoor condensing units and existing EPO system.
2. Phased installation of a new Schneider/APC Galaxy VS UPS unit.
3. Provide A/B distribution panels and A/B branch circuits to each cabinet of the new layout.
4. Provide UPS unit startup and commissioning assistance.
5. Provide new Emergency Power Off (EPO) system connected to new UPS and CRCUs. Provide new covered button at the new door.
6. Provide new lighting and associated controls controls in the data centre.
In a mission critical environment the clients aim is prevent the degradation of business functions by avoiding the failures altogether.
Unique challenges of the project:
The existing data centre was a live environment providing connectivity for Elavon services throughout Ireland and needed to be kept live while we transferred the services over to the new UPS.
Tritech developed a plan to enable the new UPS to be installed while still operating from one of the existing UPS. The changeover over was then co-ordinated with Elavon/US Bank and carried out at an appropriate time to eliminate any risk to network services. Once the transfer was completed the existing UPS was left in place during the initial operation and validation of the new equipment and was later decommissioned.